Obligations of employers
Obligations of the Employers under the ESI Act and Rules and Regulations made thereunder are summarised as under:
- Get your factory/establishment registered within 15 days after the Act becomes applicable. Submit 'Form 01' to the Regional Office for this purpose. Obtain Employer's Code No. for use in all ESIC Forms/documents and correspondence with the offices of the ESI Corporation.
- Fill up Declaration Forms in respect of all coverable employees and submit the same to the Regional
Office/Branch Office of the Corporation well before the 'Appointed Day' and obtain Insurance Numbers from the concerned
Branch Office/Regional Office. In respect of newly appointed employees, fill up the Declaration Form soon after appointment of such employees and submit the same to the
Branch Office concerned.
- Pending receipt of identity cards/identity certificates you may issue 'Certificate of employment' in Form 86 to the covered
employee (s) enabling them to avail cash/medical benefits.
- Pay ESI contributions (Employers' share @ 4.75% of the wages and the employees' share @ 1.75% of the wages) within 21 days of the month following, in which the wages fall due.
- Maintain an 'Accident Book' as prescribed under the Factory
- Submit an "Accident Report" to the
Branch Office/ESI Dispensary concerned immediately in respect of accidents that could result in death or disablement and within 24 hours of its occurrence otherwise. Minor accidents which do not cause absence from work need not be reported.
- Grant leave to insured employees on the basis of sickness certificates issued by any authorised ESI doctor.